Sunday, September 22, 2013

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

As I mentioned in my last two posts I had an amazingly good time on my recent cruise from Whittier, Alaska to Vancouver, Canada. I'll be occasionally posting pics from the trip here in this space as time allows.
There's something wonderful about watching the wake of a boat as its turbulent water interacts with the waves that are naturally there.
When the lighting is just right the interaction of the waves is quite impressive. You can see patterns of constructive and destructive interference as the waves meet.
The wake that most people think about is of the type shown above but there are others too, like what is found in a wind tunnel. In that case there is a stationary object with a fluid flowing past it.
That was the case with this little island in Canada. The humidity and temperature were just right to make the flow of air over and across the island visible, making a wonderful wake indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment