Friday, October 15, 2021

The Messier Catalog

I don't know about you, but I finally kept a New Year's resolution. What was it? To use my Unistellar eVscope to observe and photograph all 110 objects of the Messier Catalog. Yes, I know some people do Messier marathons and catch them all in just one evening, but it takes time if you want to take a photograph each and every one of them. Besides, I do like to sleep. 

I caught my first Messier object this year, the famous Orion Nebula (M42), on January 3rd. The last one that I observed was on October 9th: the galaxy known as M77.

I will certainly be revisiting each and everyone of these objects in the future (especially since I'll will soon have the eVscope2), but for your visual enjoyment here are a few mosaics of the objects of the Messier Catalog.

Messier 1 through 20: 

Messier 21 - 40:

Messier 41 - 60:

Messier 61- 80:

Messier 81 - 100:

 and finally Messier 101 - 110:

I've previously blogged about the globular star clusters and the nebulae of the Messier Catalog and I've still got a few things left to say about the whole thing, but I'll save those thoughts for another time.




2 comments:

  1. Cheers for this wonderfull achievement.

    On my side I am trying to do the same BUT still missing three Messier objects M 68, M83 and M74.
    I also started to do the same with Caldwell Object with some 20 of northern hemisphere still missing.
    I am living in Normandy where sky is not so often clear enough but I did also many observations in Nantes and in the French Alps in the small village of Corrençon in Vercors

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'aimerais savoir si la vitesse du eVscope2 est la mêmeou supérieure que celle du eVscope1. Sur les descriptifs c'est pas noté. J'hésite d'acheter le eVscope2. Merci d'avance. Alex

    ReplyDelete