Saturday, November 30, 2013

Star Trek: Season One Redux

I'm not sure if I have any regular readers or not or if anyone is even enjoying my look back at the original Star Trek series. I have enjoyed doing these and I guess that's what counts. If anybody else does too, then so much the better.

I began back in mid December last year with The Cage and just 11 months later I finished the last episode of Season 1, Operation: Annihilate!
I briefly thought of ranking all the episodes in the season but instead decided to give you my top ten. Ask me on a different day and I might give you a different list, but for now here it is:
#10 - Dagger of the Mind - An escaped inmate leads Kirk and Dr. Helen Noel to a deadly discovery in the Tantalus Colony. Favorite line: "To all mankind. May we never find space so vast, planets so cold, hearts and minds so empty that, that we cannot fill them with love and warmth."
#9 - Space Seed - The Enterprise encounters a derelict ship with a cargo of super humans in suspended animation who are revived and take over. Favorite line: "Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" "Well, either choke me or cut my throat. Make up your mind."
#8 - Where No Man Has Gone Before - Trek's second pilot takes them to the edge of the galaxy and through its energy barrier. In the process Gary Mitchell develops super powers.  Favorite line: "Because she feels. I don't. All I know is logic."
#7 - Arena - To save his ship, Kirk must fight an alien lizard-like creature, the Gorn, which he defeats with a home-made canon. Favorite line: "I shall be merciful and quick."
#6 - Errand of Mercy - The Federation and the Klingon Empire are headed to war until the Organians interfere. Favorite line: "Do you always betray your friends?"
#5 - Balance of Terror - A submarine-like face off against the Romulans, with a comet. Favorite line: "Behold, a marvel in the darkness."
#4 - The Devil in the Dark - Red Shirts and miners fall victim to a deadly monster who turns out to be a mother protecting her young. Favorite line: "No Kill I."
#3 - The Corbomite Maneuver  - A first contact mission gone wrong turns into a deadly game of poker. Favorite line: "What am I, a doctor or a moon-shuttle conductor?"
#2 - The Naked Time - A disease ravages the crew of the Enterprise who accidentally travels back in time to escape crashing into a dying planet. Favorite line: "No beach to walk on."
#1. The City On The Edge of Forever - McCoy travels back in time an somehow changes all of history. Kik and Spock follow him back to the 1930s in an attempt to set things right. Favorite line: "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins."

There you have it. Others such as The Menagerie, The Galileo Seven, A Taste of Armageddon and The Return of the Archons nearly cracked the top ten.

Look for Catspaw, my first Season Two episode to be here on the blog very soon. Remember, I am covering these in production order.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Scott. I started watching Star Trek in September 1966, shortly after it started airing. Really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have put Menagerie in the top ten for sure.

    I don't think it hit me until now that we were introduced to both the Romulans and the Klingons in the first season. For some reason that strikes me as... interesting.

    ReplyDelete